OUR MAMMOTH CAR BOOT SALE WILL BE BACK AT WILTON HOUSE ON BANK HOLIDAY MONDAY AUGUST 29th 2022
After a two year gap due to the pandemic, our popular event will be returning to Wilton House this year on its usual date in the calendar. This is our most successful fundraising event that’s been running for most of the last 40 odd years since Wilton Rotary was chartered so we are delighted to be bringing it back.
Established in 1983, our annual Mammoth Car Boot Sale has for many years been one of the largest of its kind in Southern England.
The event is normally held on August Bank Holiday Monday by kind permission of our Honorary Member the Earl of Pembroke in the beautiful grounds of the Wilton House Estate.
The last Sale in 2019 attracted some 5,000 buyers and the Sellers Area covered some 400 pitches.
Frequently Asked Questions
NB The information set out below is provisional. Please check again nearer the date of the next Sale.
- When do the gates open for Sellers? From 6.30am – 9.00am – there is NO need to arrive very early though we recommend arrival by 8.30am to avoid traffic
- Can Sellers pre-book? Pre-booking is not normally required for Ordinary or Large pitches (as defined below); just turn up and pay on the day. However for any larger requirement and/or commercial stall it is recommended you make contact in advance via the facility below to check any requirements.
- Sellers’ Pitch Prices? Ordinary Seller’s Pitch (approx two car widths) £20. Large Sellers Pitch (eg “transit” van etc) £40. Larger vehicles subject to negotiation. Any larger site requirement and/or commercial site will be assessed on arrival. Vehicles MUST park with boot end facing the gangway unless Marshals otherwise agree, then pitch fee may be amended to reflect sales frontage. The right is reserved to refuse any pitch.
- Are there food & drink pitches? No because there are pre-booked concessions for these. No other stalls for on-site consumption are allowed.
- Any goods restrictions? There are various legal restrictions on the goods that can be sold at car boot sales (eg electrical goods) and Trading Standards Officers are likely to visit the Sale with a view to possible enforcement particularly in relation to traders. Click here for further info.
- Waste Disposal Facilities for Sellers? There will be a skip for waste disposal but please particularly note FOOD WASTE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE and any especially bulky items should be left beside the skip to enable them to be broken up/compressed as necessary before skip collection. Also any electrical equipment (eg televisions) must be left beside the skips and not put in them. So far as possible please compress other items (eg cardboard boxes) to maximise use of the skip capacity.
- Sellers’ Departure? The sale ends at 1pm and stalls are expected to close then. If you wish to leave early you must take particular care negotiating the gangways which are likely to be crowded with pedestrians.
- What time does the Buyers’ gate open? The sale officially opens at 9am from which time an entry charge of £3 per adults is payable. Entry before 9am will not be permitted otherwise than on payment of a higher charge of £10 per adult. If you do not wish to pay the higher charge please join the queue for admission after 9am.
- Buyers’ Departure? The sale ends at 1pm and stalls are expected to close then with a view to Buyers being away from the site by 2pm. In any event all vehicles MUST vacate by 3pm failing which a penalty charge of £20 will be levied for late exit.
- Buyers’ Exit Route? As long as there is significant incoming traffic via the Netherhampton Road entrance, all departing vehicles will be directed westwards through the Park to exit into South Street, Wilton. Once incoming traffic is judged to have sufficiently reduced then exit onto Netherhampton Road will be allowed but Marshals instructions must be followed as to the direction of exit.
- Enquiries? Please note that we are very fortunate to have use of the Park by kind permission of the Wilton Estate but otherwise it is not involved in the event. Therefore ANY enquiries should be directed to this website NOT the Estate Office.
- Are dogs allowed on site? Stallholders may have them in/by their vehicles (on short lead) but otherwise, though not prohibited, it is recommended that they are not brought to the event because of the congested nature of the sales area, and it is most unwise to risk leaving them in vehicles particularly if it is hot.
- Directions to the venue? For satnav enter SP2 8PZ which will bring you to the corner on Netherhampton Road which is the Netherhampton Gate entrance to the Park. NB This is the only entrance for the event. Entry via the Sawmills Gate in South Street will not be possible for vehicles nor pedestrians. From the North, West and East follow road signs for Salisbury Racecourse. From the South (via Coombe Bissett ) also follow Racecourse signs BUT carry on north past the Racecourse and the Netherhampton Gate entrance is at the bottom of the hill.
- What time are the entrance gates closed? Otherwise than for emergencies vehicular entry to the site is NOT allowed after 12.00 midday. Therefore if collection by vehicle is planned that must be before that time or at the Netherhampton Road outside the gate. (This is necessary due to the need then to use that gate for exit only as it is not possible to have other than one-way traffic.)
- Is there much traffic congestion? Whilst we have refined the traffic management to try to reduce delays the nature of the site, restricted time of the event, and the volume of vehicles do impose constraints particularly with the bulk of outgoing traffic being concentrated in a fairly short period. Thus we ask for your understanding of that situation, which may be relieved in part by earlier or later departure.